Trusted, Compassionate & Relentless Injury Counsel

What if the Other Driver was Uninsured or Underinsured?

On Behalf of | May 20, 2013 | Car Accidents, Personal Injury

According to current statistics, more than 16% of all drivers in the United States are uninsured. As a result, nearly 14% of all collisions are caused by uninsured motorists—which, surprisingly, doesn’t account for the numerous others that are caused by underinsured motorists. For this reason, the St. Paul personal injury attorney at Rob Roe Law, LLC encourages you to take this into consideration when deciding upon your own insurance policy. Although these drivers may be breaking the law, it will be up to you to make sure that you are protected in the event of an accident. Fortunately, Minnesota law requires all drivers to acquire the minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage (UM). This means that you would be able to file a claim with your own insurance provider for the damages that the other driver has caused if they, themselves do not have the means to compensate you. In doing so, you may be able to claim reimbursement for the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Forfeited wages
  • Emotional distress

It is important to understand that uninsured motorist coverage (UM) is not the same as underinsured motorist coverage (UIM), however, as the latter would only allow you to seek additional compensation from your own insurance company when the at-fault driver is inadequately insured. Let’s say, for example, you were involved in a serious car accident that caused $100,000 in damages. If the at-fault driver’s insurance policy allowed for a maximum recovery of $25,000, you could pursue further reimbursement from your own insurance company by filing a claim for the remaining damages. Although you may not be entitled to the full amount, you may significantly benefit from supplemental compensation. For this reason, our firm encourages you to review your current policy and determine whether or not you would be sufficiently covered after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

If you or someone you love has already been involved in such an accident, it may be in your best interests to discuss your case with a St. Paul injury lawyer from our firm. Although your policy may clearly state that you are entitled to certain benefits, the insurance company may not always be willing to cooperate. Under these circumstances, it may be necessary for a legal professional to step in and handle the situation. For this reason, we ask you to find out what Rob Roe Law, LLC can do for you by calling our office today at 651-319-8112. You can also tell us about your case online by filling out the free case evaluation form that is conveniently located on our website.